Magnum Research XIX 10" .44 Magnum

Discussion in 'Semi Automatic Handguns' started by EarlyMon, Mar 1, 2014.

1. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon Moderator Initial Supporter

As seen in the February edition of the American Rifleman -

slide.jpg

They've got a great write up on this, much of which can be seen by non-NRA members at the Daily Caller -

I found this pretty interesting -

It's got a 1:18 twist, and was reported delivering sub-2" group at 50 yards with Federal 240 gr. Hydra-Shok JHPs, Hornady Custom 300 gr. XTPs, and Winchester Razorback XT 225 gr. beveled profile HPs - and all just plus or minus a bit against 1000 ft-lb of muzzle energy.

So, packs a wallop, shoots straight as all get out, and in my opinion, looks like a million bucks.

And one of the best parts:

More info at http://www.magnumresearch.com/firea...sert-eagle-44-magnum-10-inch-barrel-black.asp and retail is $1650.

Officially on my bucket list. :)

2. EarlyMon

Just found this -

Nice.

300 gr. .50AE @ 1634 fps = 1779 ft-lb of muzzle energy.

Yeah. :)

3. On An Island

On An Island Moderator Moderator Initial Supporter

Oh my goodness! Elephant hunting with a hand-gun (well, maybe not). :)

4. EarlyMon

Yep, not a .500 S&W, but still, very respectable and plenty for all sorts of North American game, and the top rail ought to be pretty handy. :)

The 300 gr .50 AE in this configuration is really very comparable to the same in .454 Casull, and that's no slouch.

Be interesting to see what range of .44 loads it'll play well with.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2014
  5. Bob Cat

Bob Cat Moderator Moderator Initial Supporter

That's sweet. That's not a pistol that I would want to a run a box thru every time I went to the range tho. To much recoil for me. And since I don't hunt it wouldn't used much other than than to just show it off.

Sent from Bob Cat's phone. :D

6. EarlyMon

If I were loading my own, maybe. Otherwise, I agree with you.

YouTube is chock full of people that can't shoot showing off with the .50 AE. A few however did intrigue me - experienced shooters seemed to have no problem with it. And - they were still just showing off. I'd eyed one back in 91 when they first came out. In no time flat it was the darling of the movie jerk tough guys and it turned me off, so - I knew it existed but I just didn't care.

I didn't know that back then, they had a .41/.44 that you could buy in .44 and then swap out the barrel, bolt and magazine to convert to .41. Had I known that, I might have had both, you know how I'm partial to my .41, great sidearm for elk. But to just pick up one - that's an extra pound and a quarter to lug in the field over a revolver for a few extra rounds. Uh - yeah, no.

So, the real story here for me is the 10" in .44 Magnum. They actually came out with this last year but I've only now noticed it.

I had a buddy in Arkansas who was going to take me out so I could pistol hunt razorbacks. At first he thought I was nuts but after hanging with me, decided he'd have no problem with it. I've seen pistol hunting videos for hogs - one fine fellow took one down with a single head shot from a .40 S&W pistol of all things - and in another, parents let a young girl torture one by emptying a full magazine into an 800 pounder (that was sickening, the point of hunting is not torture).

So, a 10" general purpose .44 makes good hunting sense to me. And if I ever lose my mind and decide to go for moose, I'd be a barrel and magazine swap away from .50 AE for a backup sidearm.

I inadvertently wandered into Canadian moose territory when I was a kid, turned around and found I was close to a small herd - and came within 10 feet of a bull, face to face.

That tree saved my life, I turned monkey right quick, but I'll tell you what - facing that bull moose on his turf pissed him off to no end. Went for a day hike and took me over a day and a half to get out of the trees and escape that big dude. I decided then and there I wasn't much interested in growing up to hunt those things. :D :D

Bob Cat and olbriar like this.
  7. EarlyMon

No secret I like pictures comparing rounds, so...

[​IMG]

It's a really odd mix, especially for this conversation, but it does give some scale for reference.

If I can find a better one with some other popular handgun hunting rounds, I'll replace it. :)

~~~~~~

For hunting comparisons -

.357 Magnum > .45 ACP
    .41 Magnum ~ .44 Magnum ~ .45 LC
    .50 AE = .454 Casull

I've rated the .357 over the .45 ACP because of the availability of better bullet shapes and loading power for the three and a half.

I'm showing the .41 as roughly equivalent to or below the .44, this explains why - http://www.guns.com/2011/04/15/the-black-sheep-of-the-family-the-41-magnum/

The .45 LC, assuming something capable like a Blackhawk, is all over the map due to the variety of loads and probably spans from below a .41 to above a .44.

The .50 AE from this 10" really does line up with the same weight .454, but the .454 is likely to offer a wider range for hand loaders.

The .460 and .500 are well above these.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
    Sayrah likes this.