My Apology

Discussion in 'Anything Goes Lounge' started by olbriar, Jun 18, 2017.

1. olbriar

olbriar Moderator Moderator Initial Supporter

Hey gang. I've decided that I'm pulling down my web site. It's just a hobby site for a few of my friends to hang out and have an email address with our domain name and such. I've had the site for many years. Not only has it become expensive to have the site hosted but lately it's been a battle to beat back the bad guys. My last breech was the last straw. I either need to step up to a professional service to clean and block the site but it's so infected this time that I might not have much left when it's cleaned of the malware. Anyway, I think it's time to pull the plug on my hobby site. Here is the bad part... I have used the site for over a decade to host the pics that I've shared on many forum including our BS site. So you will no longer have to see my pictures but you will see broken links instead. And for this, I apologize.

2. Phases

Phases Administrator Administrator

I know exactly how you feel.

3. olbriar

My hat is off to you Sir. It's like shoveling sand against the tide sometimes. I'm very happy that you keep this site up and running. I KNOW it's not all fun and games. Thank You for your efforts. If not for breaking the links to all of my pics I would have pulled my site down last year. Man it's ugly out there!

timm9 likes this.
  4. On An Island

On An Island Moderator Moderator Initial Supporter

Two things. One: @Phases THANK YOU for keeping BS up and running. It's a thankless job 99% of the time and the only time you get noticed is when something happens. I know, I admin'd a site for years. Even though I'm not here every night, it's my go-to spot. Whatever I can do to help, just let me know.

Two: @olbriar Check out http://www.photobucket.com It's a free site for hosting pics. I've used it for years with no heartburn. You can go for premium service levels, etc. or not - I don't.

olbriar, Phases and timm9 like this.
  5. axiomatic

axiomatic Active Member

OB, I feel your pain as well. Keeping up a personal website (without pouring lots of money into it) is a task that generally is thankless, endless and fraught with peril. Kudos for putting up with it for as long as you did.

While David is right in that photobucket is a good place to store photos, it's not that great unless you're a (great-great-great?) grandfathered member or want to pony up some cash to upload all the photos you had from a personal website. The 2GB of free space disappears REALLY fast unless you basically have all small images. :(

Last edited: Jun 26, 2017 at 12:50 PM
    olbriar likes this.
  6. olbriar

I created an account at photobucket last night. It is so plagued with ads that I couldn't hardly navigate the place. I understand I'm paying for the "free" space but the cost is way high.

Testing.....
    [​IMG]

It works :) Not nearly as handy as I'm accustomed to but.. it does work.

axiomatic likes this.