My Apology

Discussion in 'Anything Goes Lounge' started by olbriar, Jun 18, 2017.

1. olbriar

olbriar Moderator Moderator Initial Supporter

Hey gang. I've decided that I'm pulling down my web site. It's just a hobby site for a few of my friends to hang out and have an email address with our domain name and such. I've had the site for many years. Not only has it become expensive to have the site hosted but lately it's been a battle to beat back the bad guys. My last breech was the last straw. I either need to step up to a professional service to clean and block the site but it's so infected this time that I might not have much left when it's cleaned of the malware. Anyway, I think it's time to pull the plug on my hobby site. Here is the bad part... I have used the site for over a decade to host the pics that I've shared on many forum including our BS site. So you will no longer have to see my pictures but you will see broken links instead. And for this, I apologize.

2. Phases

Phases Administrator Administrator

I know exactly how you feel.

3. olbriar

My hat is off to you Sir. It's like shoveling sand against the tide sometimes. I'm very happy that you keep this site up and running. I KNOW it's not all fun and games. Thank You for your efforts. If not for breaking the links to all of my pics I would have pulled my site down last year. Man it's ugly out there!

timm9 likes this.
  4. On An Island

On An Island Moderator Moderator Initial Supporter

Two things. One: @Phases THANK YOU for keeping BS up and running. It's a thankless job 99% of the time and the only time you get noticed is when something happens. I know, I admin'd a site for years. Even though I'm not here every night, it's my go-to spot. Whatever I can do to help, just let me know.

Two: @olbriar Check out http://www.photobucket.com It's a free site for hosting pics. I've used it for years with no heartburn. You can go for premium service levels, etc. or not - I don't.

olbriar, Phases and timm9 like this.
  5. axiomatic

axiomatic Active Member

OB, I feel your pain as well. Keeping up a personal website (without pouring lots of money into it) is a task that generally is thankless, endless and fraught with peril. Kudos for putting up with it for as long as you did.

While David is right in that photobucket is a good place to store photos, it's not that great unless you're a (great-great-great?) grandfathered member or want to pony up some cash to upload all the photos you had from a personal website. The 2GB of free space disappears REALLY fast unless you basically have all small images. :(

Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
    olbriar likes this.
  6. olbriar

I created an account at photobucket last night. It is so plagued with ads that I couldn't hardly navigate the place. I understand I'm paying for the "free" space but the cost is way high.

Testing.....
    [​IMG]

It works :) Not nearly as handy as I'm accustomed to but.. it does work.

axiomatic likes this.
  7. On An Island

Ooof. I didn't realize it was different for new users. :rolleyes:

Sorry 'bout that.

olbriar likes this.
  8. axiomatic

axiomatic Active Member

Is Photobucket worthy of such nice groupings? ;)

You might also check out Google Photos. I've had an account there for some years and it's pretty easy. Nary an ad, either. I think it's part of a google account, so basically unlimited storage, which is kind of nice.

olbriar likes this.
  9. olbriar

I talked to my brother-in-law and he has had a photobucket account for some time. He was amazed and shocked when I told him about the strangle hold the ad scene has on a new account. Not your fault. I like the site.. just damn hard to do anything there. It took me a half hour or better to adjust my preferences and to save them. Every time I tried to save it would wait a couple of minutes and then tell me to try again. All the settings had to be reset and then saved again. But now that I have it set up... I'll give it a go.

10. SeanC

SeanC Active Member Initial Supporter

Photobucket 3rd part hosting gumble grumble.

11. olbriar

I'm hearing a lot of grumbling here and there. People feel their backs are against the wall. Pay up or lose all of their shared links. That pretty much inhales sharply. Someone must have decided what they extorted from the old members and slam dunk the new members was a financially sound decision.

12. Phases

Phases Administrator Administrator

yeouch

13. olbriar

Not good.. no sir. Lots of great stuff lost to a photobucket gouge. It sort of trashes up a forum. Sad.

14. On An Island

Yep, this blows. :mad: I'm out of there. I'll most likely move to Google Photos, so like OB I apologize for any broken photo links. Please let me know if you run across any and I'll fix them.

olbriar likes this.
  15. axiomatic

axiomatic Active Member

Yeah, that really is the final nail in the coffin. I can understand it for commercial accounts, but for casual home users? Sheesh.

16. SeanC

SeanC Active Member Initial Supporter

I just downloaded all of my pictures and I'm working on uploading them somewhere else.

Then I'll try to fix my links.

On An Island and olbriar like this.